Monday, January 21, 2013

When I give life some lemons!


I finished my lemon piece!  I’m very excited about it, and I’m ready to contact the person who commissioned me to make it.  I hope that soon it will be traveling to its new home in Massachusetts.  I’ll post a picture of the finished piece after the new owner has had a chance to see it, which will probably be next week.  There’s just no time to rest, so I launched into my next commission.  The person who bought the original ‘Winter Birches’ asked me to create a similar piece as a graduation present for her daughter.  With the cold snap bearing down on us, this somehow feels like the right piece to focus on right now.  I was delighted to have the original piece hanging on my wall again after many years.  It reminds me of how much I like that original piece, and how much my style has evolved.  
 My first color gradient background was based on over fifty different yarns to create the horizon effect I wanted.  It’s really a mixed gradient of browns, grays and greens to achieve the misty, serene, cold, late afternoon feel in winter.  This original “Winter Birches” is also much flatter than my current tree pieces.  It predates my dimensional crochet tactic for bringing a base away from the background to plant the trees in.  I’m excited that this is my last commission piece for a while because I need to launch into creating pieces for an upcoming show at the History Center.  The plan is to hang it on April first, and it will stay on the walls through the Garden Walk event in late June.  I’ve been thinking a lot about garden-themed compositions that would be appropriate for the show.  I’m envisioning a garden path with felted flagstones, and I have a sketch I’m happy with.   
This morning I came up with another that I’ll call ‘We Three Kings’, which will feature three fat onions (yellow, white and red) growing in the dirt.  I’m also currently working on a piece that features three crocuses I’m calling ‘The Three Sisters’.  I finished the soil background, which is full of treasures long lost in the garden soil.  I’ll add the crocuses shortly.  I cut the flattened crocus petals shapes from commercial felt and stitched wire around each of them.  I’ll needle felt wool onto the petals to create the lenticular shape.  
 I’ve already dug through my boxes of roving to find the colors I want to use.  One of the joys of searching my stores is that I always seem to find just the perfect color.  This time I found a dark purple roving I dyed years ago for a long-forgotten project.  It’s just perfect for one of my crocuses.  It’s fun to be creating something new!

Of course life is never all about art.  We got a rude shock when water started leaking through the roof last Sunday.  We called up the roofing fellow, who diagnosed the problem as failed flashing around the chimney.  This has been a problem before, and the chimney fellow supposedly sealed it up for us.  This is getting really old!  
 I really want to get the ceiling fixed, but I can’t do it until I’m sure we’ve got the water problem sorted out.  I’ve also spent the week trying to dry out the storage areas that got wet to avoid any unwanted molds growing in the bedroom areas.  Of course there’s always a silver lining when problems enter my life.  On Monday I came back from Zumba to find an apple pie on the cutting board and two loaves of bread in the oven!  The pie lasted until breakfast on Thursday.  Is it too early to wonder when the next one will appear?

Until next week,

Martina Celerin

No comments:

Post a Comment